Instagram

Friday, 25 October 2013

3 Tourist Days in NYC

Couple weeks ago, my old pal Tzu Ning (or Nicholas as he tells some people but I find it weird), came down from Boston to visit. So we spent the weekend in the city, basically 2 -3 full days in there, it was pretty productive.

So I'll let the photos do the talking :) Enjoy!

DAY 1 (or rather night)

Headed to Times Square after dinner in Nyonya!



 DAY 2

On the way to the UN HQ, walked past 'The Permanent Mission of Malaysia to the United States', supposedly like a consulate


Bangunan ini dibuka dengan rasminya oleh Y.A.B Dato Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, Perdana Menteri Malaysia
Pada 28 September 1995


Bought some cakes at at Grand Central market! Had to eat it before entering the UN HQ.

Smart way of packaging a cupcake -- in a upside down plastic cup
            


My Carrot Cupcake and Tzu's Chocolate Fudge cake or something haha




THE UN HQ BUILDING




Grand Central from the outside:

Finally tried some NYC Hotdog and Pretzels from Times Square! Super expensive though, the hotdog was like $6 cuz I asked for 'chili' thinking it was like chili sauce, like the hot sauce -.- BUT REALLY YUMMY





Took a glance at the Empire State building from the bottom, $50 to go up and we didn't wanna spend more than we already were.. 




Tibetan/ Nepali Restaurant in East Village!
It's opened by Achi's family friends so we went there to try some food, but Tzu and I didn't manage to.
Long story short, Tzu and I were supposed to meet Achi and her friends there but we waited for quite a while and got hungry, and decided to go to this Japanese restaurant down the road.

Went back to Tsampa to meet Achi and picked a few pieces of food here and there, it was soooo spicy, I have to eat a proper meal there.



TSAMPA
212 E 9th St, New York, NY 10003, United States
+1 212-614-3226
5.30pm-11.30pm everyday



This was the Jap food Tzu and I had:

 We were saying how this beef and rice portion is like 3 times of that in 'Yoshinoya' in Singapore. HAHA


DAY 3

 Suaku me, saw chestnuts dropping from the trees and got all excited haha

 We took the Metro-North to Harlem and walked to Columbia University.




Walked to Central Park.
This is only one small part of Central Park, didn't walk through the whole Central Park cuz my legs were so tired from all the walking and the whole stretch is reaaaaallly long.

Random  plant I took a photo of in strong wind, surprised that it took such a still shot! 
(here's me praising iPhone 5 again)



1 World Trade Center

We decided to queue up to take a look at the 9/11 Memorial
Admission is free but they ask for tips at the counter where you get the ticket.



 Walked over to the Wall Street!
And I convinced Tzu that short people have advantages -- great angle for photography :P

The New York Stock Exchange



Went to try SHAKE SHACK to find out why everyone is raving about it.
I got the most basic burger, as usual, and I thought it wasn't thaaaaatt good. I mean, it was good, but then with all the rave and seeing the ultra long queues, I was honestly quite disappointed. Fries were pricey and not special at all. I honestly loved My Burger Lab in Malaysia better. 





We met up with Tzu's friend Michael, and he brought us to Brooklyn for this cool food vendor thing:
The one that we went to was the one is Smorgasburg, and the view was amazing. Magnificent. Cant really describe it. It's just really beautiful.

We arrived when most of the stalls were closing, so we didn't get to see much. But it was still satisfying.

View of The Concrete Jungle from the edge of Brooklyn

Food Vendors

From left to right, NYC - Brooklyn Bridge - Brooklyn.

They even had an ATM there. Cute.



This Bacon thing we tried. YUMMMM. 


Spot the Statue of Liberty (Hint: it's on the right side of the island)




After indulging ourselves in that spectacular view, 
we went to get cheesecakes from Eileen's Cheesecake!

It's a really small shop at the corner, selling all sorts of cheesecakes. Best thing is that they don't put gelatin in the cheesecakes. I hate cheesecakes with gelatin.  

My Blueberry and Tzu's Bailey's.

17 Cleveland Pl, New York, NY 10012, United States
+1 212-966-5585
Mon-Fri 9am - 9pm
Sat/Sun 10am - 7pm



We ended our day in a Malaysian/Singaporean/Indonesian restaurant. 
Really authentic. The owners are M'sian/S'porean/Indonesians. 


Sanur Restaurant
18 Doyers St, New York, NY 10013, United States
+1 212-267-0088
Tues-Sun 9.30am - 10pm





So I guess that concludes our 3-day trip in NYC! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment