Instagram

Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Asian Food in NYC and Bronxville

Since I came over to the US, I obviously am not able to have my usual food as often. I love my hot and spicies and mummy's cooking like duh, who doesn't love their mom's food. I thought that I would not be able to have my 'home food' as much when I am here in New York, but surprisingly I'm having it quite often. Almost every week I get to eat asian food!

So my first 'home food' meal was on Elaine's birthday! We went to this asian restaurant in Bronxville. They had all sorts of asian cuisine, but I tried Pad Thai since I have never tried it. I thought it would be better to try something I have never had, so that I wouldn't have some sort of expectations. This was my Pad Thai.



In the menu, it said 'Spicy'. LIES. It wasn't spicy at all. -.- It was so sweet, the 'jelat' kind of sweet. Even though I didn't have any expectations, I didn't like it. Okay maybe I expected it to be spicy like it was indicated in the menu. I'm pretty sure I can get ones that are much better back in Malaysia. The noodles were like the 'sa got' in Popiah, not sure if it is supposed to be like that... The portion was huge though! I finished maybe 2/3 of it.


A day later (that's what my iPhone says), I went to this restaurant called Dumpling + Noodle, apparently quite good, with my friends. I'm not going to lie, I WAS SO EXCITED WHEN I SAW 'TOM YUM NOODLES' ON THE MENU. Ordered it without second thoughts. 



LOOKS YUMMY RIGHTTTT!

Tried the soup with expectations of Tom Yum I usually have. It wasn't spicy :'( Maybe a teenie weenie bit, but I was disappointed :( But they put quite a lot of seafood so it was worth it :) 
This was what was left after I tried filling my stomach almost to the max:

It's almost half of the serving. It was huge I swear. It's like a black hole in there. I kept eating the noodles and they weren't near gone at all! 


I went there a couple times and am quite happy that we have this asian restaurant so nearby. It is in Bronxville, just about 10-15 min walk from campus. Prices are reasonable. Oh one exception, Kiri tried the 'Malaysian Red Curry' and it does not even look and taste anything like authentic Malaysian Red Curry. I should've taken a photo. It was really funny. But I really loved their bubble tea! I had their Oolong Bubble Tea and really loved it! Do try it if you go there! Oh and they do delivery too so that's a plus!



26 Palmer Ave, Bronxville, NY 10708, United States


+1 914-779-0902

Monday - Thursday 11.30am to 9.30pm

Friday & Saturday 11.30am to 10pm

Sunday 12pm to 9.30pm



So a few days later, a group of us decided to go down to China Town in New York City for lunch! There were quite a few vegetarians in the group so we went to a vegetarian Chinese restaurant. Ana actually found this restaurant on Yelp! It's an locations app like Foursquare if you don't know. It's really useful to look for specific types of places. 

So when we looked at the menu, the 'Laksa' instantly caught my eye! I MISS LAKSAAAA. So I ordered that. Achi, Kiri and I ordered Laksa, Sweet sour chicken and spring rolls! 
I was hoping the Laksa was spicy enough! haha. So when our food came, I was like o_o The laksa doesn't look like laksa... HOWEVER. It was spicy so yay! It tasted like half a bottle of Sriracha sauce though! Okay maybe not half a bottle but it tasted a lot like Sriracha soup or something. The sweet sour chicken was good! Actually I can't remember if it's pork or chicken, but it's vegetarian so I shall call it Sweet Sour Fake Meat. It was yummy. Spring rolls were really good too! Pricing was fine! Don't think I'll go back cuz I'm not a big fan of vegetarian food.. Why go for vegetarian food when you have no religious or allergy restrictions :x


We were too hungry, forgot about pictures
While waiting for food!
Us after yummy lunch!



5 Mott St, New York, NY 10013, United States
+1 212-566-8388

Open everyday 10am - 10pm




After lunch, Achi and I went over to an Asian Supermarket! *choir sings*  Felt like home :') So many things I wanted to buy. I saw this packet Curry Chicken sauce, was so tempted to buy but I realized I don't have a wok to cook even if I knew how to. :( But nonetheless I got all these awesome stuff. 



Some time later, Elaine gathered us Malaysian for dinner in a Malaysian restaurant in China Town, NYC! 
FINALLY GOOD AUTHENTIC MALAYSIAN FOOD!! 
This restaurant is called 'Nyonya'. At first when Elaine told me that we're going to Nyonya, I thought it was nyonya food :x But when I found out it's actually Malaysian food not nyonya food, somehow I just got a million times more excited. Maybe it's because I haven't really had nyonya food.. 



So we ordered long beans with belacan, hot plate tofu, gu lu yok (sweet sour pork), chicken rice (oil rice), and garlic chicken (roasted). It was so good.. Really really authentic.. Makes me happy! Best thing is that it's not too expensive! I'm definitely going to drag my friends there again soon :x They have another 2 branches in Brooklyn apparently!




+1 212-334-3669


199 Grand St, New York, NY 10013

(between Mulberry St & Mott St) 

Neighborhood: Little Italy



Mon-ThuSun 11 am - 11:30 pm
Fri-Sat 11 am - 12 am

Nearest Transit: 
Canal Street (J, M, Z, N, Q, R, W, 6)
Grand St (B, D)
Bowery (J, M)





So later that night, we went to another bigger asian supermarket to shop, again :P Yeah I really love my asian food. I was walking around, hunting for stuff I love, then I stumbled upon this!


I was like OMG that's so cool! I don't even see it in the supermarkets in Malaysia! Maybe I just wasn't too observant. I'll buy this back if my mum doesn't see it back home :x Don't need to go to Melaka to queue for Satay Celup and sweat like crazy while eatingggg! Like this! But I guess you get the real deal there :/





#THROWBACK lol

Ban Lee Siang Satay Celup
45E, Jalan Ong Kim Wee, Melaka, Malaysia
5.30pm - 12.30am 
Closed on Tuesdays



So last Thursday, Kiri and Achi were craving for Indian food. (Kiri is from Nepal and Achi from Delhi) And Malaysian me lovessssss Indian cuisine, so we went hunting for this Indian restaurant near Cross County Mall with Ana. It's called Neha Palace. It wasn't exactly very very near the mall, it was about a 5 minute walk from the mall? Right behind this small petrol station. When we saw the restaurant, I thought, wow, it looks expensive. When we went in, all the tables were set so nicely, like in those super high class restaurants or ballrooms. To me, nicely folded napkins means high class restaurant haha.

Since Ana and Achi are vegetarians, they shared a vegetarian dish called Gobhi Takatin (cauliflowers) with Basmati rice, Kiri and I shared Mutton Rogan Josh (my favorite) with Basmati rice, and we all shared Pindi/Aloo Chole (chick peas), 1 Butter Naan and 1 Roti Romali. Other than that, they gave us Papadum with Chutney. 


 Left most: Gobhi Takatin (cauliflowers)
Top: Pindi/Aloo Chole (chick peas)
Below chick peas: Basmati Rice
Right of Basmati rice: Basket of Rotis (Naan on top, Romali on bottom)
Bottom most: Mutton Rogan Josh




Because I was smart enough to check into Foursquare and Yelp *wink*, we got free desserts! Foursquare gives you free dessert with min. order value of $40, but for Yelp, just $25. So two of us checked into Yelp and we got 2 free desserts! I didn't take photos of the dessert so I'll just steal pictures closest to what I had from google. 

Our 2 desserts were Rasmalai and Gulab Jamun:

Rasmalai
  Rasmalai is cottage cheese with sweetened milk and a sprinkle of crushed pistachios.

Gulab Jamun

Cross-section of Gulab Jamun balls
Gulab Jamun is made out of reduced milk powder. It doesn't look like it's made of milk at all! Apparently they cook and reduce the milk, then roll chunks of balls, sometimes with a little flour, then fry it. It is served in sugar water. Really really sweet syrup. At first when the waiter was describing it to me, I thought it would be like the Chinese Tang Yuan (Glutinous rice balls). This is much more sweeter than the Tang Yuans. And it's not sticky like glutinous rice balls. The best I could describe it is like those fried banana balls the Indians sell on the road sides. I know they have it at the famous Rojak place in SS15 near Taylors College. Yup, it's like those friend banana balls soaked in really sweet sugar water. 

Honestly I prefer the Rasmalai because it is not so sweet. I don't usually eat cheese on its own, but the cottage cheese in Rasmalai doesn't taste like cheese at all. To me, it had a very subtle sweet taste. The texture was very much like tiny coconut shavings put together in a ball. It's really weird and hard to describe, but really interesting. You have to try it for yourself to know what I'm talking about.

All in all, I really love this restaurant. The food was all really good (spicy enough too), and pricings are really reasonable! After sharing out the cost, each of us only paid about 15 on average. Really good ambiance and service too! Will definitely go back again and again!




27 Meyer Ave. (Off Vredenburgh Ave) Behind Cross County Mall, Yonkers, Westchester, NY 10704

Tel: 914-476-5900, 914-476-4800

Fax: 914-476-8878 



Lunch Hours:
MON - FRI: 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM
SAT - SUN: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM 

Dinner Hours
MON - THU: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
FRI - SAT: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
SUN: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM





Saturday night, Kiri and I decided to cook dinner since we didn't have any meals left for the week. We were feeling kinda lazy so we just microwaved instant noodles haha. I decided to make my beloved Indomie I bought from Chinatown a few weeks ago.They were $2 for 5 individual packets so I just grabbed 5. I made Kiri try it and she fell in love with it. Instantly. haha! So my next trip, I'm gonna get more for myself and also for her. Indomie FTW


Enough of food. I'm getting hungry at 1.20am. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment